Limited Means, Limited Options
College Remains Unaffordable for Many Americans
This paper offers five recommendations to address issues of affordability that negatively affect college access and completion:
- Federal policymakers should protect and strengthen the Pell Grant.
- States should strengthen direct investment in public colleges and need-based aid programs.
- Colleges should manage institutional costs to concentrate expenditures on students.
- Colleges with wealth at their disposal—either in the form of large endowments or company profits—should keep prices low for needy students.
- Congress should pass legislation to improve consumer information and transparency, giving students the information they need to make affordable choices.