Why Lumina Impact Ventures?
With just 8 years left to reach Lumina's 2025 goal – at our current pace – we're projected to fall short of the targeted number of Americans with credentials beyond high school by 10.9 million. The urgency of this situation calls for more innovation in our philanthropic approach. Impact Ventures is Lumina's newest tool to leverage additional resources and accelerate impact.
Apply for investment capital
See if your organization or company qualifies and apply today.
- BridgeEdU—the provider of intervention services to improve retention and college completion targeting the highest-risk first-year college students.
- Camelback Ventures – An accelerator focused on addressing inequities of entrepreneurship by providing coaching, capital, and connections to underrepresented entrepreneurs.
- Care Academy – education company that provides training to support in-home caregivers and the families they work with.
- Cell-Ed – provider of educational content through a text-based and web-accessible platform, serving low-income workforce professional development and upskilling.
- Civitas Learning—an education data science company that provides insights and tools to optimize student learning, retention, and completion.
- Credly—a technology platform for verifying, sharing and managing digital badges and credentials that empowers the recognition of lifelong achievement.
- Edovo – a leading provider of education and telecom services for the incarcerated population.
- New Profit—a leading accelerator with a long history and proven record of scaling high-impact nonprofit organizations.
- Upswing – an education company providing technology-enabled student support services and solutions to improve persistence and graduation.
- Village Capital – an accelerator that finds, trains, and invests in entrepreneurs solving real-world problems; Lumina’s investment focused on the education vertical.
- Viridis Learning— a technology platform of guided career pathways building students’ Skills Passports that help match with employer hiring needs.
More About The Role of Lumina Impact Ventures?
Lumina Impact Ventures (LIV) is to identify promising solutions that improve attainment for traditionally underrepresented populations and turn those solutions into scalable and investable opportunities to accelerate progress toward Lumina's 2025 goal.
Over time the social investment portfolio will achieve the following objectives:
- Drive a social return that contributes significantly toward increased attainment;
- Deliver a financial return of 0-4% for the entire portfolio of social investments;
- Catalyze other investors and capital in support of the goal;
- Build an ecosystem that is able to deliver the 21st-century postsecondary learning system; and
- Drive a learning return to inform our grantmaking.
Lumina Impact Ventures leverages social capital to accelerate development of promising solutions that can help more people benefit from education and training beyond high school. Lumina Foundation, an independent, private foundation in Indianapolis operates this impact-investing arm as part of its national commitment to making opportunities for learning beyond high school available to all. The foundation envisions a system that is easy to navigate, delivers fair results, and meets the nation's need for talent through a broad range of credentials. The foundation's goal Is to prepare people for informed citizenship and for success in a global economy.