Today’s working class is far different than the working class of more than half a century ago, at the height of American manufacturing’s importance in the labor market. Yet, widespread misconceptions persist about the people without a four-year college degree who make up the American working class. Throughout the 2016 and 2020 election cycles, the term became, in some circles, nearly synonymous with white workers in manufacturing or skilled trades.

The Center for American Progress report reveals that today’s working class is more diverse than ever.

According to data from the 2021 American Community Survey, the current working class largely works in services, particularly retail, health care, food service and accommodation, and building services, though manufacturing and construction remain large employers as well. Black, Hispanic, and other workers of color make up 45 percent of the working class, while non-Hispanic white workers comprise the remaining 55 percent. Nearly half of the working class is women, and 8 percent have disabilities.

Pro-worker policymakers must understand the diversity of today’s working class as they craft policies to build an economy that truly works for all workers, the report states.

Read What Policymakers Need To Know About Today’s Working Class

What are you looking for?