#TalentTuesday – The plan
Each Tuesday we will be sharing new content about our nation’s need for talent and what can be done to meet it. Through op-eds, blog posts, social media content, and media interviews, we’ll tackle everything from the business case for talent, to the untapped talent of America’s veterans, to questions of equity, to the role cities play in creating talent hubs, and more. We’ll also highlight key allies – like you – doing the heavy lifting to place talent on the national agenda.
38% of today’s undergraduate students are older than 25, and more than a quarter of them are raising kids
Building a Talent Pipeline through Credentialing
- Resource: Making the Case for Reforming the U.S. Credentialing System
- Resource: The Emerging Learning System
States as Talent Leaders
- Resource: Stronger Nation Report—State Profiles
- Resource: Lumina Foundation State Policy Agenda
- Resource: FAQ about Outcomes-Based Funding
- Video: Embedding Equity in State Attainment Goals—Lessons Learned in Oregon
- Video: Aligning State Resources with Talent Needs—Outcomes Based Funding in Indiana
- Video: Working with Employers to Set State Attainment Goals—Insight from Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam
Cities as Talent Hubs
Employers as Talent Champions
Tapping the Talent of Today’s Student
- Opinion: College Kids, With Kids, The New York Times
- Video: Perspectives from Today's Students, Sandra Barkevich
The Talent Equity Imperative
- Opinion: Why the Next Decade Presents a Rare Opportunity for Shrinking Higher Education Equity Gap, Black Enterprise
Unleashing the Talent of Veterans
Attracting and Leveraging the Talent of Millennials
Why America Needs Talent
We’ve developed a set of draft social media posts to help you and your communications teams easily join the conversation. Take a look at the messages included below, and consider sharing them on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
Share on Twitter
@LuminaFound launches national #AmericaNeedsTalent dialogue. Follow #TalentTuesday every week to see themes and contribute to the convo.Tweet This
Why is it time to talk #AmericaNeedsTalent? @LuminaFound's @JamieMerisotis shares 5 reasons #TalentTuesdayTweet this
#StrongerNation shows #TalentGap stems from inequities around postsecondary education. Time to talk #AmericaNeedsTalent. #TalentTuesdayTweet this
More about the importance of talent
The U.S.’ shift to a knowledge-based economy has produced greater-than-ever demand for workers with education beyond high school, with nearly two-thirds of U.S. jobs projected to require postsecondary education by 2020. A recent Manpower study indicated that, already, 40 percent of US employers are having difficulty filling jobs, with more than 2 million positions open due to talent mismatch.
Businesses are clearly the beneficiaries of high-quality education, but they are also the nation’s largest investor in postsecondary education and training, spending 63 percent of all postsecondary expenditures annually—hundreds of billions of dollars. Further, employers support about 1 million currently enrolled students.
Lumina’s goal in our employer mobilization work is to identify the leading practices for employer investment in talent, understand and influence how employers spend their education and training dollars for attainment, and make a strong business case for those investments.