In 2010, the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers initiated the Common Core State Standards effort, and by the end of last year, a majority of states agreed to set college- and career-ready standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics and develop assessment systems that gauge student progress. This effort represents a historic opportunity to align K-12 and postsecondary education, and in particular, to drive student preparation for college.
On September 15, Lumina Foundation held a federal briefing for more than 60 attendees at the Senate Dirksen Building, featuring:
- Sue Cain, College Readiness and Developmental Education, Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
- Dane Linn, Director, Education Division of NGA Center for Best Practices
- Sheri Ranis, Program Director, Lumina Foundation for Education
- Carrie Heath Phillips, Program Director, CCSSO
- Jamie Merisotis, President and CEO, Lumina Foundation for Education