Convenings and Events Planning Intern (May 2024 – August 2024)
Department: Human Network Design
Reports to: Convenings Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C., All Lumina staff and interns spend three working days per week in the Washington, D.C. office.
Duration: May 13th – August 9th, 2024
Compensation: $16-$19 per hour for student enrolled in an undergraduate program
$18-$22 per hour for students enrolled in a graduate program or a recent graduate
Schedule: 20 hours weekly required, maximum of 40 hours. Schedule can be negotiated with supervisor.
Lumina Foundation is an independent, private foundation in Indianapolis committed to making opportunities for learning beyond high school available to all. We envision a system that is easy to navigate, delivers fair results, and meets the nation’s talent needs through a broad range of credentials. Our goal is to prepare people for informed citizenship and success in a global economy.
The candidate will provide support and assistance on specific projects for the Human Network Design team. This internship presents an exciting opportunity for aspiring professionals to contribute to the foundation’s mission and gain hands-on experience in the philanthropic sector.
Our Human Network Design (HND) department works to build, strengthen, expand and convene networks of partner organizations and individual stakeholders to advance Lumina’s mission. We accomplish this through our convenings strategy, producing a number of high-quality events annually. We are excited to offer an internship opportunity for an enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual to join HND’s convenings team. This will involve:
- Advance Lumina’s commitment to addressing systemic racism and barriers to learning after high school among students of color.
- Assist in planning and executing a variety of HND convenings
- Collaborate with the Convenings Manager to coordinate logistics, including venue selection, catering, audio-visual setup, and attendee response and troubleshooting.
- Provide on-site support during events to ensure smooth operations and excellent attendee experiences.
- Assist in the development of event timelines and on-site rollout of events.
- As needed, contribute to the creation of marketing materials and promotional strategies for events.
Education and Experience
Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an associate or bachelor’s degree program in Events Management, Hospitality Management, or a related field; we will also consider an equivalent combination of work and learning experience.
- Stable access to high-speed internet
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented with a passion for creating memorable experiences.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other relevant software.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Able to extensively use of various forms of technology.
- Sitting and standing for long periods of time.
- Travel occurs infrequently but may include overnight stays.
This description is only a summary of the typical job functions, not an exhaustive list of all possible responsibilities, and may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Accepting Applications- February 1- February 28th, 2024
Internship Interviews – March 1- March 15th, 2024
Internship Start and End: May 13th – August 9th, 2024
Applicants should send the following to the e-mail address below:
- A letter of interest
- Resume outlining experience relevant to the position
Equal Opportunity Employer