Lumina Foundation Public Policy Intern (Fall 2021)
Position Title: Lumina Foundation Public Policy Intern (Fall 2021)
Department: Public Policy and States
Reports to: Strategy Director, Federal Policy
Duration: 12 weeks, mid-to-late August through early December. Dates are approximate
Compensation: $16-$19 per hour for students enrolled in an undergraduate program
$18-$22 per hour for students enrolled in a graduate program or a recent graduate
Schedule: 24 hours weekly required, maximum of 40 hours. Prefer candidates who are willing to work 2-3 days per week. Schedule can be negotiated with supervisor.
The candidate will report to the strategy director for federal policy and work with the Public Policy & States team as well as other program staff to conduct work related to a variety of postsecondary policies. Responsibilities will include:
- conducting research and analysis on policy issues both in response to requests from colleagues and through an independent project
- assisting staff in the development of relevant deliverables and with the tracking, collecting, and monitoring of databases and other information relevant to strategy work
- networking with a wide variety of people and organizations
- undertaking background research and literature reviews
- organizing events and providing occasional administrative and logistical support
- supporting Lumina’s commitment to ending systemic racism and barriers to learning beyond high school for Black, Latino and Native American individuals.
Enrolled undergraduate or graduate student, or a recent graduate; we will also consider an equivalent combination of work and learning experience.
- Stable access to high-speed internet
- Strong communication (written and oral) and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at a time
- Digital and technical literacy
- Ability to collaborate and willingness to work with a team
- Familiarity with federal and/or state policy environments
- Familiarity with higher education policy and practice, especially barriers to completion for today’s students (students of color, low-income students, first-generation students, adults, veterans, etc.)
- Familiarity with barriers, policy issues, and effective practice related to student and/or institutional finance; knowledge of institutional, state, and/or federal aid models
- Interest in philanthropy and its role in encouraging postsecondary attainment and closing equity gaps
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and early applications are welcome. Posting will close on July 19th, 2021, at 9 pm EDT.
Applicants should send to the e-mail address below a letter of interest and resume as attachments outlining experience relevant to the position.
Strategy Director for Federal Policy
About Lumina Foundation
Lumina Foundation is an independent, private foundation in Indianapolis that is committed to making opportunities for learning beyond high school available to all. We envision a system that is easy to navigate, delivers fair results, and meets the nation’s need for talent through a broad range of credentials. Our goal is to prepare people for informed citizenship and for success in a global economy.
Equal Opportunity Employer