Lumina Foundation believes that education provides the basis for individual opportunity, economic vitality and social stability. With its partners, Lumina strives to meet workforce demands and close gaps in attainment for groups not historically well-served by higher education. Lumina’s overarching goal is to increase the higher education attainment rate of the United States to 60 percent by 2025.This will represent an increase of 23 million graduates above current levels of production. While our mission focuses on both student access and success in higher education, our emphasis is on attainment, defined as completing post-secondary certificates, associate and baccalaureate degrees and credentials.
Lumina’s outcomes-based approach focuses on helping to design and build an equitable, accessible, responsive and accountable higher education system while fostering a national sense of urgency for action to achieve Goal 2025. Our current funding is directed to advance the following strategies:
- Build a Goal 2025 Social Movement
- Mobilize Employers, Metro Areas, and Regions to Increase Attainment
- Mobilize Higher Education to Increase Student Success
- Advance State Policy for Increased Attainment
- Advance Federal Policy for Increased Attainment
- Create New Models of Student Financial Support
- Design New Higher Education Business and Finance Models
- Create New Systems of Quality Credentials
For more information about these strategies, see Lumina Foundation’s Strategic Plan 2013-2016.