A Stronger Nation 2016 Report Release
To facilitate a discussion geared toward newsmakers and postsecondary thought leaders that will address the issues raised by Lumina Foundation’s 2016 Stronger Nation Report, which for the first time includes attainment data on postsecondary certificates in addition to two- and four-year degrees. Collectively, the panel will explore the latest data on progress toward Goal 2025 (to have 60% of Americans holding degrees, certificates or other high-quality credentials by the year 2025) and public sentiment toward postsecondary education. They will also examine fundamental inequities in postsecondary education; changing workforce requirements; and the social, economic, and community impact of low attainment rates.
The National Press Club
529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor
Washington, DC 20045
Panel discussion: 3 p.m.—5 p.m.
Reception: 5 p.m.—6 p.m
- Nirvi Shaw, Politico
Introduction & Overview of Data
- Jamie Merisotis, President and CEO, Lumina Foundation
- Dr. Dewayne Matthews, Vice President of Strategy Development, Lumina Foundation
Potential Guest Speaker
- James Cole Jr., Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of Education
- Chris Bustamante, President, Rio Salado College (Tempe, Az.)
- Anthony Carnevale, Director, Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce
- Joe Garcia, Lieutenant Governor of Colorado
- Maurice Jones, Virginia Secretary of Commerce and Trade
Key Details to Consider:
- Panel discussion will begin immediately following a brief overview of the 2016 data, with no individual introductory remarks or presentations from panelists.
- Questions will be provided by moderator Nirvi Shaw, but will come from a variety of sources including audience members, Twitter and a webcasting service, which we’ll be using to livestream the event to stakeholders and media not able to attend in person.
- Lumina Foundation/Hager Sharp (communications support) will provide all panelists with additional information on key messages, themes, and an official Run of Show during the week of April 3rd in preparation for the event.